Sunday 11 April 2010

How to Master World's Lingua Franca

It is undeniable that English has become a global language in most parts of the world. Last two weeks ago, I was chatting with my cousin, Zainal and he asked me about tips on how to improve our English Language. I told him that I am also in a process of improving this language each day and all you need is a passion and enthusiasm in yourself. This post is dedicated to him.

Firstly, let's watch these two advertisements:

There are so much way to learn this language.


1. Read. This is what most people would advise. Read anything and everything in English. You can read story books, newspapers, magazines, blogs, comics, English textbooks, instructions and ingredients on food packages, advertisements and etc. For story books, don’t force yourself to read something too difficult or something you know you won’t enjoy. Make reading fun! Currently, I am reading a book title, Organise Yourself by John Caunt. By reading this book, I am not just improving my English but improving myself as well. I will share about the input of the book on my next post.


2. Watch English movies/drama with subtitles. This would be my favourite way of learning English. I will not only get to have a fun time watching the movie/drama, but I am also learning new words at the same time and knowing how to pronounce them. Usually, you can get movies with English subtitles on DVDs. Recently, I've watch lots of British dramas on BBC such as Paradise Cafe, Tracy Beaker and etc. I can also learn on how to speak in British accent by watching these shows.


3. Listen to English songs. Songs are very good way to relax yourself. But they could also be useful in improving your spoken English. You can read the lyrics as you listen to the songs. Listen to your favourite songs and sing along to them.


4. Start a blog in English. This is one way for you to practice your writing. Blog on something that you love. If you are a fan of movies, start a blog and write about your favourite movies, your favourite characters, what you think could be improved in the movie, what new movies to expect next year and etc. Besides blogging, try joining online forums, engage in online chatting and more.


5. Write in your diary/journal in English. This is where you can write anything in it. But if you do write something you wouldn’t want others to read, make sure you hide it somewhere at a safe place or try not to write anything offensive at all, in case if someone does find it. You can also write about neutral stuff like the places you went that day, what you ate, who you met, what you did and etc.


6. Be best friends with a English dictionary. You can use Oxford, Collins, Cambridge and etc. Buy a dictionary that you’re comfortable with and use it at all times. Keep it next to you when you are reading. I always put my favourite Longman dictionary by my side when I’m reading. I have used this dictionary since I was in Standard 5 and I have wrote "Kamus Kegemaran Saya" (My Favourite Dictionary) at the first page of the dictionary.


7. Speak the language whenever you can. Speak it with friends, teachers and family. Don’t be shy to try speak in this language. Don’t be afraid that others will tease you. In fact, they will admire you for your courage and confidence. I have a friend from Thailand and she is also in process of learning English. We always hang out together and of course English is the language that we use to communicate with each other. One day, she accidently hit mer and said:


She: I’m sorry.

Me: I’m sorry too.

She: I’m sorry three.

Me: What are you sorry for?

She: I’m sorry five.

Me: ????


(Ok, I just made up the conversation and story. Lame!)



8. Learn a new word a day. Keep your own vocabulary notebook and write a new word and its meaning in it every day. Refer to it as often as possible so that the new words will stick in your head.


9. Learn new phrases, idioms or proverbs a day. Example, a kick in the teeth, sit on the fence, make a clean sweep, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, a man’s home is his castle and etc. When you come across a saying that you like, write it down and its meaning in your notebook. This is the website that I usually refer to learn about idioms and proverbs, CLICK HERE.


10. Sign up for an English courses. If you want to save your money, you can also do lots of English exercises such as article, grammar, vocabulary, comprehension, and etc on internet. This is the website that I usually do my English practise, CLICK HERE.


Actually, there are many more ways for you to improve your English. Learn at your own pace. There’s no need to hurry when learning something especially a language. Make learning English fun. Don’t give up too soon or get discouraged. Don’t get stressed out when it becomes a little difficult.


If you have your own wacky or unique way of learning the language, please share it with me and the other readers. The more, the merrier! I would like to wish you all the best in learning English!


P/S: credits to Google Images and Youtube.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ereen said...

my unique way is JOINING THE LANGUAGE CLASS. well its not so unique :p

tun we need to learn spanish! or italian or german!

20 April 2010 at 03:59  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home